Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2012

Last year around the holidays I happened to stumble across a blog (the name escapes me) that was participating in an online cookie swap.  Clicking through link-after-link, going from blog-to-blog, websites and facebook, I found some of the best cookie recipes! I also found out these recipes were a part of a blogger cookie swap. Well, needless to say, I wanted to get in on this cookie baking extravaganza for the following year, so I immediately entered my contact info.

11 months later (it almost seemed like one month had passed...seriously!), I received the information for the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap and I was all in!

I'm a procrastinator by nature and it didn't help that I moved into a new house right around the time of the deadline to ship them off. I managed to get them off two days before but it was no easy feat.

The cookie I decided upon is an 'Almond Glaze'.  I wasn't always a fan of the almost taste but I absolutely love it now! This is a shortbread cookie, flavored with almond extract topped with an almond glaze and almonds. So yes, you have to be an 'almond purist' to enjoy these. Read on for the recipe and Happy Holidays & Baking!

Glazed Almond Cookie

 

Glazed Almond Cookie (Yields approximately 2 1/2 dozen of 2" cookies)

Cookie
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Glaze (Yields approximately 2 cups)
- 2 cups confectioner sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk (I used whole milk)
- 1 1/2 almond extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- pinch of lemon juice

Directions

  1. Sift together the all purpose flour, almond flour and kosher salt. With an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add the egg yolks, almond extract and vanilla and  beat to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated.
  2. Divide the dough in half and shape into 2" diameter logs. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
  3. Heat oven to 350° F. Slice the logs into 3/8-inch-thick pieces and space them 1 1/2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden, 16 to 20 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, milk, extracts and lemon juice until it forms a thick but pourable glaze (add more milk for desired consistency). Dip the top of each cookie into the glaze and immediately top with almonds. Let them se, about 30 minutes.
Enjoy!
This recipe is loosely adapted from this recipe - which is one of my absolute favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews