Thursday, May 3, 2012

Baby You're a....Rock Star!

'Rock Star' Cupcakes - Revisited

All I can say is "boy have I come a long way and still have a ways to go"! Here's the story:


Back in October (2011), someone commissioned me (through a referral) to do 'rock star' themed cupcakes for her daughter's birthday.  I had mixed emotions. On one hand, I was super psyched because I love creative cupcake projects and 'rock star' cupcakes just screamed CREATIVITY! On the other hand, I was a nervous wreck because I had yet to venture into the world of the love-it-or-hate-it FONDANT!


 

However, I was not defeated so I took on the task (learned lesson: it's okay to say 'no' if you are unsure of what it is you are doing). I had some time, so I begin researching how to work with fondant and while I feel I mastered that task, I neglected to research how to store it as I made the fondant figures two days before and let them sit in the refridgerator - a big fat NO in fondant world as I discovered once the order was delivered, I received a horrible review and I researched after the fact!


 

Nevertheless, I was pleased with the visual of the cupcakes. See photos below, and yes they are misleading. Read on for more:

Invitation that served as inpiration for cupcakes



Not too bad for an 'extreme' amateur huh? Notice I said extreme, so cut me some slack - these aren't winning any awards by no means, but for the first time, I was pretty proud of myself (that sunshine didn't last long).


 

Dropped off cupcakes on Thursday evening and was looking forward to any type of feedback so I rushed to put these up on this blog. By Friday evening I was literally in tears and feeling completely defeated. I had such a head ache that I went to bed and it was only a little before 8 p.m. The review (from a party goer, not the customer) basically stated that the cupcakes were pretty but tasted 'horrible'! I was CRUSHED!! After I got myself together, I called the customer and she explained that the cupcakes were hard and very dry. Which brings me back to the 'learned lesson' I stated earlier. I had yet to master vanilla cupcakes and had absolutely no business trying them out on a customer...absolutely none! (However, I've come a long way with these and even feel confidant enough to post the recipe - click here)


 

Well, my family gave me a pep talk, I refunded my customer's money (made her some more cupcakes) and here I am pushing on; still learning as I go.


 

This past weekend, with a good vanilla cupcake recipe under my belt and some fondant experience, I got the chance to redeem myselft and I'm proud to say these 'Rock Star' cupcakes were a success!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews